Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Favorite Places-Nebraska and Turks and Caicos

Nebraska and Turks and Caicos are my two favorite places. Now, I know these two different places are completely different but I promise I have my reasons.

Turks and Caicos
Let's start with Turks and Caicos! Whenever I tell people that my favorite travel place is Turks and Caicos, I generally get the same reaction, "Huh? What and Where is that?".

Picture by Geo Currents
Source: GeoCurrents

Turks and Caicos are Islands owned by Britain just North of the Dominican Republic. It is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been. America has several pretty beaches, however, Turks and Caicos makes them look like landfills. The water is the most beautiful, clear, warm water I could have ever hoped to spend my Spring Break in. I went with one of my best friends, and I can truly say it was the most relaxing and pampering experience I have ever had. 
 Image Information: Personal Photo taken in Turks and Caicos.
Photo from March 2014.
Image Information: Personal Photo taken in Turks and Caicos.
Photo from March 2014.

The activities there were endless. I was able to snorkel, ride horses in the ocean, enjoy boat rides, and more. Soaking up the sun at a place this beautiful gave me an experience I will never forget. Pictures do not do it justice. You must experience it to fully understand the beauty of this island. Because of the wonderful experience I had there, Turks and Caicos is by far one of my most favorite places and I hope I will be back there one day.
Image Information: Personal Photo in Turks and Caicos.
Photo from March 2014.


Nebraska 

My second favorite place to visit is Nebraska. Super random, right? Not for me. I have been going to Nebraska several times a year since I was a child. All of my mother's family lives in Nebraska and they are the most fun and genuine people you will ever meet.

We never even really do anything while we are there. We don't go on big shopping trips, or to the movies or anything like that. Instead, we sit around on a porch at one of my uncle's houses. We will sit there for hours drinking, laughing, eating, and playing randoms games like washers and bags. In fact, there is usually at least one tournament of washers or bags. We make a bracket, take bets, and everything. It's kind of ridiculous but so incredibly fun. We are one giant Catholic Czech family, so things are always crazy. If you have ever seen the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, congratulations, you understand how my family is, except we are Catholic.

I love spending time with my family. There are over 40 of us total, so it's hard to get everyone together at the same time. I'm not necessarily sure that it is Nebraska that is my favorite place or the memories I have attached to it. It isn't a fancy place like Turks and Caicos is, but rather a place of comfort, love, and family. It is for those reasons that I truly love Nebraska and why it is one of my favorite places.
Image Information: Personal Photo in Seward, Nebraska.
Photo from August 2014.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is great: I can file "Turks and Caicos" in my "learn-something-new-every-day" file. I have never heard about these islands before! Nebraska I have heard of... and I have even been there (Omaha is so much fun!), but Turks and Caicos is something new. And listen, that is so cool that your family is Czech. We have a Czech unit coming up in the European part of the class - and it was hard even to choose just which Czech book to use for class since there are several wonderful Czech story books online. Maybe you will even want to explore those for your project in class! If you are curious, you can see the books I know about with Czech stories here:
    Eastern Europe: Czech, Slovak, Polish, Silesian

    ReplyDelete